Do you love jollof but want a healthier alternative? Try this jollof quinoa recipe and you won't be disappointed. High in fiber and gluten free, quinoa is a great alternative to your usual grains.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 250g washed quinoa
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp Jollof Spice
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- In a blender, blend together onion, tinned tomatoes, sweet pepper, ginger, garlic and scotch bonnet.
- Sieve excess water from the tomato sauce.
- To a pot, add the oil and heat.
- Add tomato sauce to the pot, stir for 5 minutes then add salt and Jollof Spice.
- Allow tomato sauce to cook down on a low temperature for further 10 minute stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add the washed quinoa to the sauce and add water to fill just above the quinoa.
- Lower the heat then cover with foil or baking paper and a lid.
- Allow it to cook on low for 25 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!